The John C. Bailey Summerhouse
In 1979 the rustic old summerhouse, a White Plains landmark since 1906 located on South
Broadway at the foot of Martine Avenue, had to be demolished due to its deterioration. At
the base of the old structure was magnificent stone work which was an integral part of the
background of the park and gardens below.
Six years after it was gone and missed by so many, sons of John C. Bailey approached White
Plains Beautification Foundation with their wish to do something significant to honor their
father in life. From 1937 until his retirement in1969, John Bailey was active in many community
projects and served as Executive Director of the Civic and Business Federation, later known as
the Chamber of Commerce.
Robert Pollack, an architect and member of the White Plains Beautification Foundation Board of
Directors, volunteered his design of a new structure in the spirit of the original and in accordance
with current building codes. Through an appeal from the president of Operation Engineers, Local
137, volunteers representing the White Plains Carpenters Union 53, DeLeo Excavating Corp.,
Interstate Building Material, and the Lions Club of White Plains provided all of the work gratis.
In true barn-raising fashion the new summerhouse was built in one day. It was dedicated in